Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Ugly Tulips










Easter Sunday, dear Rosemary was helping me in the narthex as my daughter and I tried to figure out which flowers were ours to take home.







There was a mix-up on the sheet and, of course, I couldn't remember what I had ordered.







"You could have a mum, or a lily, or a tulip", Rosemary said reading from the list of options.
I looked at the breathtaking wall of colorful flowers and noticed a pot of shriveled brown tulips tucked to the side.

"I like those," I pointed to the odd, hidden flowers.



"You're kidding aren't you?" Rosemary gasped in disbelief. "We thought they were dead so we hid them in the back."
"They're interesting looking." I picked up the pot and looked at the puckered bulbs.






















"I think they're called parrot tulips," Rosemary scrunched up her nose, "And you are more than welcome to take them!"

The wrinkled, brown buds opened into lacey yellow, flaming orange, and burnt red petals. 


Aren't they lovely? 
All these colors tightly closed together made a muddy brown. 
But as they opened... 
all this beauty was revealed!








No comments:

Post a Comment